10 Most Popular Tourist Attractions in Bangladesh
The Sundarban is the largest natural, single block of tidal, mangrove forest located in Bangladesh and part of India. This forest has been e forest covers 10,000 sq.km. of which about 6,000 sq. km area in Bangladesh. This world largest forest has been inscribed by UNESCO world heritage in 1997.
The waterways allow access of boat through the forests. It is famous for the Royal Bengal tigers. The tourists used to enjoy the beautiful sceneries of this forest. Beside the Royal Bengal tigers, there are also found numerous fauna including species of birds, spotted deer, crocodiles, and snakes.
Recently, the Sundarbans has also been enlisted among the finalists in the New7Wonders of Nature. Tourist guide and accommodation facilities are available for the tourist.
Kuakata is located in the southern parts of Bangladesh, and about 320km far from the capital city Dhaka. This place is famous for a well combination of light, colour and sceneries of Bay of Bengal. Kuakata is one of the rarest places which have the unique beauty of offering the full view of the rising and setting of crimson sun in the water of the Bay of Bengal in a calm environment.
3. Cox’s Bazar
Cox’s Bazar is located in the southern part of Bangladesh beside Bay of Bengal. It is famous and well known for world largest natural sandy beach. The unbroken sandy, wide beach is 125 km long. Although Cox’s Bazar is one of the most visited tourist place in Bangladesh, but it yet to get popularity yet due to lack of publicities. Cox’s Bazar, arguably the most popular tourist spot in Bangladesh, is visited by a large number of tourists from Britain, America, Korea, Japan, India, Nepal, Pakistan and many other countries each year. Well organized accommodations are available for all classes of tourists in economic cost.
4. St. Martin’s Island
St. Martin’s Island a small island in the northeast part of the Bay of Bengal, about 9 km south of the tip of the Cox’s Bazar-Teknaf peninsula. It is the only coral island in Bangladesh. It is about 8 km west of the northwest coast of Myanmar at the mouth of the Naf River. St. Martin’s Island has become a popular tourist spot for both the local and international tourists. Three shipping liners run daily trips to the island. Tourists can book their trip either from Chittagong or from Cox’s Bazar. The surrounding coral reef of the island has an extension named Chera Dwip. The island is home to several endangered species of turtles, as well as the corals, some of which are found only on this island.
Bandarban lies three hours away from Cox’s Bazaar by bus. The Buddha Dhatu Jadi, the largest Buddhist temple in Bangladesh, located in Balaghata, about 4 km far from the city, is an excellent place to visit. This Theravada Buddhist temple is made completely in the style of South-East Asia and houses the second largest statue of Buddha in Bangladesh. The waterfall named Shoilo Prophet at Milanchari is also an excellent site. In addition, the numerous Buddhist temples, known as kyang in local tongue and vihars in the town include the highly notable the Rajvihar (royal vihar) at Jadipara and the Ujanipara Vihar. Bawm villages around Chimbuk, and Mru villages a little further off, are also lie within a day’s journey from the town. Prantik Lake, Jibannagar and Kyachlong Lake are some more places of interest. And, a boat ride on the river Sangu is also an excellent proposition.
One can reach Rangamati from Cox’s Bazar either via Chittagong or Bandarban. Rangamati offers several attractions including local tribal museum, Buddhist temple, tribal markets, hanging bridge and even the palace of tribal kings. The major attraction of the district is Kaptai Lake. It is a man-made lake in the Kaptai Upazila of Rangamati District. The lake was created as a result of building the Kaptai Dam on the Karnaphuli River, as part of the Karnaphuli Hydro-electric project. The beautiful view of surrounding green hills has turned the lake into a wonderful spot for boating and cruising.
7. Dulahazra Safari Park
Dulhazara Safari park was developed on an undulating landscape of around 9.00 km2 of area at Chakaria Upazila in Cox’s Bazar District, Bangladesh, some 107 km away from the port city, with an objective to create facilities for eco-tourism, research work and entertainment aside from conserving wild animals in a natural environment.
Dulahazra Park is home to at least 4,000 animals of 165 species. Many individuals also ‘donated’ some of the animals to the park during this period. The seized and donated animals recently sent to the park include 90 spotted deer (chital), 42 barking deer (Maya, a species of muntjac deer), three sambar deer, one freshwater crocodile, one saltwater crocodile, nine black bears, four pythons, 17 peacocks, 19 Turkish pheasants and two emus.
Other source of animal includes the Dhaka Zoo. While the animal population in Dhaka zoo has increased over the years due to their breeding, the Dhaka zoo donates a number of lions and tigers to the Dulhazra Safari Park.
The park itself protects a large number of wild elephants which are native to the area. In the safari park, there are domesticated elephants which are available for a ride. Other animal attractions include lions, Bengal tigers, Crocodiles, Bears, Chitals and lots of different types of birds and monkeys.
8. Lalbagh Fort (Lalbagh Kella)
Lalbagh Fort is a Mughal palace, located at the capital city Dhaka, more specifically old Dhaka. The construction of the Lalbagh Fort was commenced in 1678 AD by Prince Muhammad Azam during his 15-month long vice-royalty of Bengal, but before he could complete the work he was recalled by Aurangzeb. His successor, Shaista Khan did not continue the work, although he settled in Dhaka up to 1688. His daughter named Bibi Pari (Lady Fairy) died here in 1684 and this led him to think about the Lalbagh Fort to be built.
The beauty of the Lalbagh Fort premise attracts the visitors and tourists. The ancient construction and the art of an architect is the most enjoyable matter over there. The tourists could reach that place by public bus, auto-rickshaw, taxi or by private car. It is very near to University of Dhaka and Bangladesh University of Technology (BUET).
9. Ahsan Manzil
Ahsan Manzil placed at Kumartoli of Dhaka on the bank of the river Buriganga was the housing castle and thekachari (court) of the nawabs of Dhaka. It has been converting into a museum in recent times. It was known to be the Rang Mahal of Sheikh Enayetullah, a zamindar of Jamalpur throughout the era of the Mughals. Having purchased it from his son Matiullah, the French made it their business centre. Khwaja Alimullah purchased it from the French in 1830 and converted it into his house, finishing necessary reformation and reconstruction. Nawab Khwaja Abdul Ghani employed Martin & Company, a European construction and engineering firm, to make a master plan for their house. The construction of the palace started on in 1859 and finished in 1872. Abdul Ghani named it Ahsan Manzil after his son Khwaja Ahsanullah. Ahsan Manzil was badly damaged by the earthquake of 12 June 1897. However, Nawab Ahsanullah had it restored again.
Mahasthangarh is located in the northern part of Bangladesh and about 200 km far from the capital city Dhaka and 12 km far from Bogra district. It is the earliest urban archaeological site so far discovered in Bangladesh. A limestone slab bearing six lines in Prakrit in Brahmi script, discovered in 1931, dates Mahasthangarh to at least the 3rd century BC. The fortified area was in use until the 18th century AD. This place is well known due to its glorious history. Every year, thousands of tourists from Asian countries used to visit this historical place.
11. Kantaji’r Temple
The Kantaji’r Temple or ‘Navaratna Mondir of Kantanagar in Dinajpur, built by Maharaja Prannath, is an example of the highest achievement in terracotta art in Bangladesh. In this temple, the whole scheme of rich terracotta ornamentation in figural relief is skillfully interlaced with beautiful floral, geometrical and rosette designs. Kantajir Mondir is one of the noteworthy Hindu temples of all over the subcontinent. Established before 260 years approximately from present, it is accepted as a part of world heritage. Maharaja Pran Nath started the work in 1722 C.E and ended in 1752 C.E. during the reign of his Son Maharaja Ramnath. The Kanji temples sited about 22 kilometres north from the Dinajpur town at the western side by the Deepa River. The terracotta plaque has an exclusive motif bearing thisNavaratna temple in subcontinent’s architect.
12. Nijhum Island
In the coast of Noakhali up to the deep ocean, there exists a mysterious island “Nijhum Island”. High comber of the sea blue sky and clouds are flying here with ever joy. Grin and slowly this island exists in the womb of the sea. Now it is a beautiful island surrounding with green forest on all sides. The pleasant and tender environment of Nijhum Island deeply attracts tourists. People who have the zeal about adventure are becoming interested in this island. Nijhum Island rose on the tidal mouth of the great Meghna channel in the estuary of the Bay of Bengal. Nijhum Island is located at the 2 km south-west of Hatiya under Noakhali District.